Sunday 13 November 2011

A washstand for Veronica

I have finished this piece that I have been working on for a while.  It is a modified victorian cupboard. I have carved each side before putting it back together with a fabric at the back.
The front I have left quite plain , on the right side I have carved a woman's chemise in low relief.

The top shows a water jug pouring water with a mirror and towels on the base.
The backing fabric is a printed face/hands on cotton stretched across the back.

The idea came about when I broke an old cupboard apart to use the wood to carve some panels, because it was an old washstand I started to carve a jug pouring water. I then went on to carve a towel and the chemise. The whole piece came together as a washstand for Veronica who is supposed to have washed Jesus' face at the time of the crucifixion.

No comments:

Post a Comment